Thursday, September 7, 2017

Week 2: Down in the Valley



Listening to 'Down in the Valley' made me feel nostalgic for memories I didn't have. The song brings to mind an image of longing and pain. I interpreted the lyrics to be about a lost lover who has moved on while the singer of the song is stuck in the fantasy of the old love. The reference to Birmingham Jail could be interpreted literally or metaphorically, as the singer's love could be keeping them imprisoned and immobilized. Similarly, the reference to a 40 foot high castle could be another metaphor for the loneliness and isolation the singer feels. My favorite version of the song is the one sang on the Andy Griffith show in a lovely tone. It reminds me of a scene from one of my favorite movies that I decided to replicate with my painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment